Pulitzer winner. Undocumented. American.
When Jose Antonio Vargas was 16, he discovered his green card was fake. At 26, he won journalism’s biggest prize. At 30, he outed himself as undocumented.
Vargas’s powerful new film, #Documented, tells his story—and it will change the way you think about immigration. He joins The Good Fight to discuss his life, how it felt to see his mother after 21 years, and what it’s like to be asked by journalists “Why don’t you just become legal?”
(Warning: Contains explicit language)
Originally posted on June 25, 2014
Define AmericanHumanizing the conversation around thoughtful immigration reform
Garlin Gilchrist IIDetroit's Deputy Technology Director for Civic Community Engagement
Jose Antonio VargasFounder of Define American, Director/Producer of Documented
MoveOn.org8 million progressives fighting for change.
- WIN for privacy: The Supreme Court requires police officers to obtain a warrant before searching cellphones.
- LOSS for reproductive rights: The Supreme Court says the buffer zones around abortion clinics – zones in which anti-choice groups are prohibited from protesting — are against the First Amendment.
- LOSS for recess appointments: Another Supreme Court decision makes it difficult for presidents to make recess appointments, and could void all NLRB decisions since 2012.
- WIN for marriage equality: The Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals says states that ban same-sex marriage is violating the U.S. constitution. YES!
- WIN for climate action: The World Bank says fighting climate change would add up to $2.6 trillion a year to the world economy.
- LOSS for Colorado: Climate deniers won big in the state's GOP primary. Colorado has lately been home to destructive floods and wildfires worsened by climate change.
- WIN for renewables: AU and GWU pledge to buy more than half of their utilities from solar.
- LOSS for voting: Large turnout of African-American voters in the Republican primary; losing candidate cries voter fraud.
- Want to host a screening of Documented in your community? Yes, you can!
- Watch and get enraged as Vargas tried to engage Fox News' Lou Dobbs in a civil discussion about immigration reform. Spoiler alert: Dobbs didn't listen.
- Visit DefineAmerican.com for more info on the organization fighting to change the cultural discourse on immigration.
- Chris Zabriskie - Cylinder Five
- Chris Zabriskie - Cylinder Two
- Royalty Free Kings - Locked Up
- Royalty Free Kings - Forlorn
- Podington Bear - Starling
- Podington Bear - Constellation